Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Bike, check. Running gear, check. Boat, check. Dog,check....

Now that the rafting trip has been cancelled, I can catch everyone up on the rest of my training.....

Took a long weekend in Western Maryland last weekend. I needed to train while I was there - and there was rain predicted - so the kayaking would be good. I'd be there long enough to train/participate in all three tri-sports - plus, get some paddling in if possible. That made packing interesting.


When I was in grad school, I used to be able to get everything I owned into my car. Now, with all my gear, I feel like I have to take everything I own. There's an important difference there.


In the end, the rain did come and I didn't get on the bike while there. Oh well - biking has been the strongest part of my training and I'm not worried about missing some of that.


Running has improved for me. I'm not particularly enjoying it. The 70 and 80 minute runs I've been doing are rather boring but, at least, they don't hurt like they did a few weeks ago. I did an 80 min run yesterday and estimate that I ran about 7.5 miles or so - including several hills. I'm happy with that. If I do 10 min miles for the race I'll be very content.


Swimming is the last portion of training that I'm still dealing with. There's an open water swim this weekend at Sandy Point, near Annapolis - and I'm not sure what to expect. I've been studying the Total Immersion school of swimming (http://www.totalimmersion.net/) and feel like I'm not quite at the point of doing the open water swim. I'm confident I'll be ready by the race but not this weekend.


If you've spoken with me, you've heard me joke that I can't swim. Technically, that's not correct. I can swim. But the type of swimming I've traditionally done is based around whitewater - not flat water. One is geared to vision and survival - the other is about efficiency and speed.



The whitewater swim position:
- Head up, looking downstream


- Feet up to avoid entrapment


- Takes advantage of your floatation


- Keeps hands free for receiving throw rope





The triathlon (flat water) swim position:
- Head down, most of the body in the water "being tall", arms and legs are down in the water, very little vision.

Obviously, there's a little more to whitewater swimming than the goofy picture here - and more to the technique of triathlon swimming than that pic. Still, it's a very different style and I've been struggling to adapt.

That said, I am working on it. I've been more consistent swimming than running or biking. Eventually, I'll figure this out....

No comments: